3.26.2012

What the Heck I Think I'm Doing

Part the First -- A Movie A Day
I've had a love of film for a long time.  But with school and a million other things, it has been almost impossible for me to do anything about it consistently.  Now that I have become more comfortable thieving time from the things I should actually be doing, I want to watch a lot of movies.  I'm making my own film school for myself, using the Lovecraft Method.  Which is a method I just invented, consisting primarily of just watching anything and absolutely everything I can get my hands on.

I do have some particular interests.  But there's not really a good comprehensive term for them.  Psychotronic is probably the best.  It covers a lot.  Grindhouse.  B-movie.  Horror film.  Exploitation movie.  Trash cinema.  Any and all of the above.  I love these things.  Ever since watching Psychomania, Tombs of the Blind Dead, Vampyres, and The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism about a year or so ago, my love was reignited.  And now I have an insatiable love for trash, tempered with the doting love of a mother hen.  And my love has smoldered since.

But now I am deliberately stoking the fires.  I decided it's time to do something about it.  I will probably struggle forever to put exactly how I feel about these things into words, and why precisely they mean so much to me.  But the point is, I want to watch a lot of movies.  I want to immerse myself in them, wade into them, live in them, for as long as I can keep this up.

So, here comes the plan.  I have been deeply inspired by the likes of 1000 Misspent Hours and Horror Movie A Day.  And of course the beautiful Roger Ebert.

I am watching a movie a day.  I have been for the past month.  It's only now that I've gotten the gusto to start writing about them.  Ultimately, I'm just kind of plunging into the deep end here.  For now, like the gentleman over at HMAD, I'll treat my posts as conversations about the films I see.  Which brings me to...

Part the Second -- A Writing A Day
The other half of my nonsense will be me writing something.  Every day I'll write something about what I've watched.  And the hope is that this will be excellent writing practice.  Me write pretty some day.

Really, at the bottom, I've got a huge love for movies.  And I want to watch a ton of them because I believe in what they can do and what they mean.  And writing about them is one way I see of becoming a better person -- well, a more involved, thoughtful person, at least.  It will, hopefully, give me some much needed spiritual discipline and fun besides.  And hopefully I can learn along the way how to write in a way that doesn't suck.

But I'm not placing too hefty expectations on myself at the moment.  I'm a spring chicken right now.  And I'll waddle where the movie wind takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment